Section: Flaperonsother aircraft sections
I’ve finished up the last of the flaperon halves. Like the slats, I’ve wrapped them up in a moving blanket and set aside for eventual storage in the “hangar” shed once it warms up a bit and I have the patience to rearrange it. I was out there pulling out wing materials the other day, and should have thought done it all at once. Anyhow, On to the wings!
The skeleton for the outboard pilot side flaperon is started, and this time I tried positioning and drilling out the hinge bracket before deburring, priming, and assembling the skeleton. This was a lesson learned too late (4th of 4 halves), but I think it’ll save a good deal of hassle by prepping and priming only once. On the other 3 halves, I riveted the spars and ribs before fitting, drilling, cutting, and attaching the hinge brackets.
One lesson I forgot to mention in earlier posts about the flaperons: I believe both the HomeBuiltHelp video and the photo assembly guide indicate that you should use A4 rivets to attach the full rib to the rib angle, and the rib angle to the spar. The drawings, however, show A5 rivets. To be safe I went with A5. The flaperons are now 3/4s done! All that’s left is the outboard half of the pilot side.
Over the past month or so I’ve made slow progress on the flaperons, a few hours here and there, and finishing both halves of the passenger side. Today I nearly finished the inboard pilot side: skeleton assembled and riveted, everything drilled to size, deburred, and primed. All that is left is final assembly and riveting.
A couple of pieces of extrusion are now hinge brackets (2 down, 6 more to go). I don’t have a band saw, and snips are a bit too weak, but I had success with a hack saw. The corner was simply rounded with files. The skeleton for this half has been completely assembled: drilled out, deburred, primed, riveted. I’ve also attached the bottom skin to it and enlarged the holes to A4.