This fall we bought a new house, and with it a garage that’ll make a perfect workshop.
At our old house we had a classic Chicago-style, detached 2-car garage with an alley behind the property and no driveway. We needed both ports for our cars, and were not allowed to park in the street so the garage could never be used for the plane.
Our new house has a 3-car garage and driveway, so I just leave my truck in the driveway, 2 garage ports are used by Cara’s car and miscellaneous tools and junk, and one port entirely dedicated as a workshop. It has nice epoxy floors, drywall and insulation, and plenty of lighting (and no overwhelming mold like the old one).
Here are some pics of the day we moved. Kelly and Jason were incredibly kind to come out and help.
I rented a 26’ truck this time, the longest U-haul has. When we first moved the fuselage I had a 20’ truck and it took some creativity to just barely allow us to shut the door.
We successfully moved the plane without any damage or other incidents, but it’s incredibly stressful. The next time we move it, it should be to an airport!
I used shelf brackets covered in pipe insulation to store most of the completed airframe parts on the wall. The rudder is hanging with a strap (pic coming later). I’ll also post a photo tour of the new workshop before too long.
And soon I hope to get back to working on the wing, now that I have space to set it up and maneuver.