Now that the shed is built and the materials are safely at home and stored, we finally had time to get the workshop setup in our extra bedroom, formerly an office.

We put down some thin, cork underlayment we found for $30 at the Restore. It should keep the floor protected from dropped tools and other mishaps. Dragging a table across it will definitely rip it, but otherwise it seems fairly sturdy, and we have plenty of leftovers to replace it if needed.

Then today we finished building a couple of workbenches, and I’ve started to get tools, parts, materials, and other supplies settled in.

 

Update (2016-10-03):

I spent a lot of time tonight further getting the workshop set up. Most notably we put the workbenches together to be long enough to hold the horizontal stabilizer, and battled it for a while to get it flat and level’ish. I needed to move some bins out to make room, and unfortunately lost the convenient L-shaped layout in favor of end-to-end workbenches diagonally through the room.

A roll of cork on the cheap should make for a good floor protector

A roll of cork on the cheap should make for a good floor protector

Rolling out the cork

Rolling out the cork

A fierce storm forced us to do the cutting in the garage

A fierce storm forced us to do the cutting in the garage

Two new workbenches

Two new workbenches

Unpacking the small aluminum parts

Unpacking the small aluminum parts